Competition Tryouts

Competition tryouts were held on Saturday as I am sure most of you are aware. I wanted to go over a few things to make sure we are all on the same page.

I am very thankful for the talent that is brought into Northridge every year. We seem to have some of the best girls try out every year which continues to make our team bigger and bigger. When these girls try out I am very upfront in the contract and at the parent meeting what will be expected from them through out the year and if you are on competition team. I never want anyone to feel blindsided by information or news regarding things like this, that is why I was very open at the first parent meeting in April that due to UCA rules and regulations that we can not compete with more that 30 girls on the floor. This does not mean that I will compete with 30 but if I choose to that would be the max. Tryouts are based on more than just a certain skill. We take all of summer into account and how the girls handle learning new routines, camp, work ethic, practices and if they have been improving since they first tried out.

Since we have a team larger than 30 we will have alternates. This is not a position of shame or to make girls feel unwanted or left out. I hope it will push them in the other direction and it will motivate them to work harder and want to improve on the areas that they might be lacking this time around. My alternates from last year were beyond impressive with their work ethic on the side and have both grown so much since they first tried out.  As an alternate you are expected to come to practice and learn the routine just like the comp team. Like I have mentioned before, injuries and accidents happen. Last year we ended up using ALL 4 alternates due to random situations.

As an alternate you are also welcome to travel with the team. UCA west coast championships is a one day competition and the rest of the time we get to play and bond as a team. Please know that even if you are not on competition team that we hope you travel with us to cheer on your teammates and bond with them through other experiences.

Parents, I hope that there is understanding that Cheerleading is like any other sport and not everyone can be in the starting line up... but they can all practice to achieve that goal eventually.

I have been the sophomore who didn't make competition team the first year and I have recently been the parent that watched her daughter try out for an extra routine at dance and not make it because she was not ready for what was required. I might not have a perfect understanding, as my kids are still young but please know that I love every one of these girls and want nothing but the best for them.

Girls will be sent a text letting them know if they make comp team or not... most of them I have already talked to if they need to work on anything specific or if they aren't ready yet. If you as a parent have any questions, please call me directly so we can talk through it together.

Thanks, Shalise


Comments

Popular Posts